Lost & Found
If you've lost an animal, click here to see our stray animals.
If your animal is at RCHS, please contact us at 483.6700. To retrieve your pet, the pet's owners will need to bring evidence of ownership. Additionally, you'll need to pay a $25 intake fee as well as $14 per day that the animal is here. We will accept cash or credit cards to return your pet. RCHS is staffed 7 days a week so although the Adoption Center may be closed you can still pick up your pet on Sunday or Monday. Leave a message with the answering service at 483.6700 and they can contact the staff about your lost pet.
Losing a pet is traumatic for both you and the pet. The quicker you take action, the more likely you are to have a successful reunion. Following these tips can help if you have lost or found a pet:
- Call your local animal shelter(s) immediately.
- Call your local Animal Control Officer
- Post the lost or found pet on your facebook page and on the RCHS facebook page. Additionally, post it on the Lost and Found Animals of Vermont's facebook page.
- Check with the neighbors to see if they have seen the pet. Leave the notice if they are not home.
- Ask neighborhood children; they get around and see everything going on in the area.
- Check with the area veterinarians, they often receive injured strays.
- Call local radio stations to see if they air lost and found pet information.
- See if your local newspaper(s) will run a lost and found ad for you.
- Ask your mail carrier if he/she saw the pet on their rounds.
- Put up lost pet notices (pictures are very helpful) all around the area, including stores, post offices, libraries, laundry mats and anywhere people can see them.
These Rutland County area businesses or agencies offer free lost & found pet services:
Rutland County Humane Society
Phone: (802) 483- 6700 or email us.
Phone: (802) 747- 6128. They will run a free classified ad for one week.
PEG TV (Public Access Cable TV)
Phone: (802) 747- 0151 or e-mail them at firstname.lastname@example.org. They will air the information daily. Pictures are encouraged. The information will run intermittently on their community bulletin board.
Phone: (802) 775-5597. They will air information but you must call daily.
The Mountain Times
Phone: (802) 422-2399. They will run a free classified ad.
Manchester Newspapers & The Lakes Region Free Press
Phone: (800) 354-4232. They will run a free classified ad.
Note: Be sure you check these postings regularly. It is up to you, the pet owner to check for your lost pet.
Please email us with your questions
Remember, too many people wait, sometimes days, before they start searching for their pet. Start your search immediately! And, don't give up. Some people only look for a day or two and assume their pet is dead or lost forever. Successful reunions have occurred weeks after the pet was lost.
The most successful returns of lost pets are those who were wearing a collar and identification tags with current information. These pets are usually back home within a few hours.